Agonda Beach, Goa

Mike is currently in Australia, so the boys and I decided to make a long weekend of it and go to Goa.  Goa is a great destination in India for a weekend at the beach, and given its only a one hour flight from Bangalore, it makes it even more attractive.

We have been to Goa a number of times but have never been to the gorgeous area of Agonda. On the drive to south (about 1.5 hours from the airport) I had forgotten how pretty all the churches and Portuguese architecture is and how different this area of India is to the big cities and the north of the country. It’s so relaxed and laidback and the people are definitely living on Goa time.

There are not many things that my husband and boys can call me a ‘princess’ over.  However, being a passenger in a car in India is definitely one! I absolutely hate it and if I’m not careful I’m going to become a hermit and never leave our community.  I get so incredibly carsick, the roads and traffic are horrible, and I just loath everything about it - and I know that I make a car trip painful for everyone involved.  Arriving in Goa on Thursday evening reminded me again of why I try to  choose flights that don’t have us driving at night - it’s crazy and the risk of accidents, particularly head-on is so high. I always feel so lucky to arrive safely at our destination. Even though the roads are better in Goa, they are still narrow and with a large number of bikes, buses and trucks, it adds to the risk of people speeding, overtaking dangerously and generally driving irrationally!!

Anyway, we did arrive safely and we stayed at a beach place called Simrose at Agonda Beach. They have lovely little Beach Huts right on the beach and it’s all very relaxed.  Going to sleep with the sound of the waves crashing reminded me of my holidays as a child in the caravan park in Queensland.  We woke up on Friday morning, went for a beach walk and then proceeded to spend the weekend surfing, building sandcastles and relaxing.  The surf in the morning was quite big and had a strong rip, however, the afternoon was calmer.  The boys and I spent hours jumping and diving waves and most of the time the beach was completely our own.

The simplicity of the weekend was wonderful, and we came back to Bangalore, nicely refreshed.


Agonda Beach - all to ourselves for most of the weekend



This was where we stayed - Simrose Resort Beach Huts

The resident puppy - SweetPea

These are the ladies that sweep any pollution up and take it away - they walk the length of the beach twice daily.
His best David Hasselhoff impersonation









Early morning fishing


Baywatch…… I think NOT !






Comments

Popular Posts