Chennai

This week, I had the opportunity to join Mike on one of his business trips to Chennai - and I jumped at it.  I never got to visit Chennai when we lived here previously, and the chance to discover another city in a another Indian state, Tamil Nadu, is always something I jump at.  We were lucky enough to be staying at the beautiful ITC Grand Chola Hotel which is huge, and elegantly decorated.  The flower display's in Indian hotels are something like nowhere else I have seen, and the ITC in Chennai is no different.

Chennai is known for its extreme heat and humidity, so to visit in March was going to be good, as the summer heat hasn't hit yet.  However, I still noticed the difference to the fabulous Bangalore weather, where the temperature is pretty stable throughout the year and stays at around 27-33 degrees celsius and the humidity remains quite low.

I have to admit that I hadn't had too many good reviews from other peoples visit's to Chennai, so I was pleasantly surprised and didn't think Chennai was that different to other Indian cities I have visited.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to visit Mahabalipuram to the south of Chennai, known for it's fabulous stone temples and idols.  Maybe next time I can include a day trip south.

I only had a half day available to discover Chennai, so I found a guide to give me an afternoon walking tour through the area of Chennai known as Georgetown.  This area of Chennai was where this Indian trading hub started back in the 17th century.  It is close to the nearby Chennai port and is a thriving section of the city.

The streets around the port are where small stores, hawkers and peddlers buy and sell anything and everything.  There are streets solely for selling sari's, flowers, fruits and vegetables, electrical items, household goods,  building items..... you name it, you can buy it in this area of Chennai. This is the heart and soul of the city and is a hive of activity from before sunrise to well after dark.

Hidden amongst the lanes are a couple of large and ornate Hindu temples.  The fabulous stories of the Hindu gods and how they all relate are so interesting and have lovely morals.  Similar to the many fables we were told as a child, there are things to learn from these wonderful temples.  We even had the chance to visit the only Armenian church in Chennai which was built in 1712 by the very small Armenian community.  It was a very cute little church that is being maintained to a high standard and has occasional services for the 4 remaining Armenians in Chennai.

I really enjoyed my afternoon wandering around the lanes of Chennai before fighting the never-ending traffic issues to head back to the hotel for some relaxation.  I highly recommend completing a walking tour in India - it is a truely fabulous way to see the true India.  Just always remember to wear enclosed shoes !!


The amazing grand stairwell in the hotel

The Madras High Court


This lovely lady was selling garlic, tamarind, coriander seeds, and the smallest hottest chillies I have ever seen.

I just loved how this basket has been repaired time and time again

such beautiful detail on one of the Hindu temples in downtown Chennai

Holi powders for sale on the streets
a bit busy in this side street



'Love India'

What a gorgeous little pup hiding out of the crowds

Always a time and place for a nap

Time for some Masala tea








this photo captures an Indian store so well: bags and bags of refined sugar, a gas bottle only attached with some tape to a
portable 'stove', boiling oil, piles of sweet Jalebi's


Comments

Popular Posts