Boarding School - the Good and the Bad

As many of you know, this week was the start of a huge change for our family with Jack starting at boarding school.  The lead up to the move had been really good and Jack was very content with the prospect of being at his old school in Bangalore and all the opportunities (mainly sport) that boarding school could offer him.  I, on the other hand, was very nervous and devastated to have him go.  Even though I knew deep down that this is the right decision.

We had our teary goodbye (mostly mum's tears) on Wednesday afternoon and then Jack promptly had a great afternoon with all the new boarders playing football and ping pong.  He had seemed to settle well and was very excited to meet his roommate that afternoon.  Unfortunately, his roommate became ill and has still not returned to school - hopefully he will arrive this weekend.  This has made for some lonely hours in the first couple of days but these will pass soon with the start of homework and arranged sports.  The death of a previous Indian Prime Minister late yesterday also added to the issue, as school in Bangalore was cancelled today - so more time just 'hanging around'.  Jack is such a trooper and is counting down the days until I come down for a visit (only 15 more sleeps.....)

I am not sure if it is of benefit that I boarded as a young girl, or if that means I know, and can relate to just how sad Jack is feeling.  I know that horrible feeling of wanting to be at home with all the familiar foods, love, your bed, TV, mum nagging........ and then knowing that you just cannot be there, no matter what you say or do.  However, I also know of the joy that boarding school can bring and the friendships that are formed during that time - they are like no others.  The boarding school Jack is at in Bangalore is very small, (only 52 boarders) so I am sure it will feel just like an extended family in the very near future, rather than just a 'school'.

My personal thoughts on the best parts of going to boarding school (from experience but also many years away from living there) are, in no particular order:

1.  All your friends are nearby and there is always someone to hang with

2.  You can use all the school facilities whenever you want

3.  Late night hot chocolate/coffees

4.  Studying was mandatory - therefore my grades improved

5.  The silly things we got up to when we shouldn't :)

6.  Independence

7.  You get to meet people from all sorts of different backgrounds and learn about their way of life.

8.  No travel time to school each day = never bus sick !!

And the worst parts (in no particular order):

1.  Having to wear uniforms (including your horrible hat) when you left the campus for anything.

2.  No privacy - ever !  That door is always open.....

3.  Studying was mandatory :)

4. Fighting for a washing machine on Saturdays

5.  Boarding school eggs..... actually most of the boarding school food was fairly poor but I'm sure it was difficult cooking for so many girls.

6.  No family with you.

I asked Jack to give his first impressions and thoughts on life as a boarder, and will get him to do this again in a few months time.  So here they are:

  • What is the best thing about the boarding house ? So far at boarding school, my favourite part is probably the time that I spend with my friends in the common area.


  • What is the most annoying thing in the boarding house ?   For me the most annoying thing about the boarding house is, that they knock on the door so loud.


  • What is it like to be away from your mum, dad and brother ?  It feels a bit weird not waking up and seeing them here with me, and that I go to school without Max.


  • What is the best food so far ?  So far I have had two meals and I do like the Mac & cheese. 


  • Would you recommend boarding to other kids ?  I would personally recommend boarding school to any parents that have kids that go to school with boarding opportunities.


We are SUPER proud of our boy and hope he is a bit happier this afternoon.  Love you Jack Jack.
Until next time - hug those kids closely   xxxxxx

Comments

  1. Wow! Love this post, Susie. Heartbreaking and inspiring all at once. It sounds like Jack is doing very well and mum is too - I'm sure it is difficult, also for Max! We miss you all but I so love keeping tabs on you through your blog xxoo

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts